Saturday, March 29, 2014

New Music (to me) Saturday: The Mowgli's

This may be a misleading title, because technically The Mowgli's, 'Waiting for the Dawn' was released last year, but they're new to me, so maybe the band will be new to you too.

I am seriously digging this band this week. Their music, alternative and easy-listening, just soothes the soul. That's the best way I can put it. This isn't exactly studying music, because you're going to want to get up and just jam to some of these numbers, but they are the perfect music to listen to just about any other time.

"San Francisco" makes me want to dance around like a fool, especially when they hit those harmonies about a minute in, but then you're instantly snappin' your fingers together and singing along. The band is huge - seven members! - but man, does it pay off big time.

I implore you to listen to their album, embedded below. Notice how, even after their most popular song "San Francisco" (4 million+ plays on Spotify), every song is a friggin' knock-out. 'Slowly, Slowly' has this moment at around 2:45 where all the vocals build and they hit that crescendo at 3:10 and you're off to the races with them.

And I could go on, evaluating every song like this but instead I'll leave you with the following recommendations:

  • San Francisco
  • Slowly, Slowly
  • Emily
  • Say It, Just Say It 
  • Leave It Up To Me - (Try not singing along to the 'woah-oh's on this track. Impossible!) 


Also, I may or may not just kinda walk around town singing "Hi, Hey There, Hello" to myself. Folksy and happy - my kinda song.

Sadly it doesn't look like I'll be getting to see them live anytime soon, their tour doesn't take them through Pennsylvania or Maryland. But seriously guys - when are we gonna get some new music? I've already got 'Waiting for the Dawn' memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment