Saturday, February 15, 2014

'House of Cards' season 2: Mess with the bull, get the horns. No spoilers!

At the beginning of season 2 episode 3 Frank turns to the camera and states: "There are two types of Vice Presidents: door mats and matadors. Which one do you think I intend to be?"

Well, I think we all knew the answer to that question.


Frank Underwood and his corrupted version of Washington D.C. are back for a heart-thumping second season of House of Cards. After all 13 episodes were uploaded at 3AM EST on February 14, it seemed like everyone tweeted their agonizing wait until they could dive into the season later that day. Some had to wait for their significant other, some had to wait till after work, some had pesky Valentine's Day plans they had to see through before they could settle in for a thrilling ride.

I myself was chomping at the bit to get my binging on, but restrained myself until the afternoon to begin. Then I rushed through three episodes before spending a delightful evening with my friend for a Leslie Knope-approved Galentines day.

I know how this show works. I know each episode is like a chocolate in Forrest Gump's box: you never know what you're going to get. Making it that much more important to savor every blasé side-long glance Frank gives the camera.

Throughout the day I've been slowly but surely moving my way through the season. I'm currently on episode 7 out of 13. I'm cognizant now not to overindulge - if I really wanted to, I could be done already. But, when it comes to the long-game, it's imperative to realize this is all we'll have for another year, at least.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Yes, I'll finish by tomorrow evening, but I'm determined to stretch it out for as long as I can convince myself to hold out.

As for the show it self, it's decidedly shot with a stronger sense of self-awareness. The cinematography is gorgeous as always, a more film-noir feel than last season, and every aspect - music, lighting, dialogue - definitely ratchets up the political-thriller vibe of it all. Robin Wright was fantastic last season, but that was child's play compared to this season - she's is taking no prisoners.

And if you haven't watched the first season: what are you waiting for!? You now have 26 delectable chapters of television to indulge yourself in. It is Valentine's weekend, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment