Thursday, February 20, 2014

I tried kick boxing and now I'm sore

Have you ever wanted to try something new but always found yourself making excuses why you can't? It'll mess up your routine, you don't have time, you're scared etc. etc... Well, when you're homework assignment is to go out and attend a club meeting or new type of gym class, you suddenly find a way to get it done.

That's exactly what happened to me in my COMM 420 class, Research Methods in Public Relations and Advertising. As we learn about observation and the different ways we participate in and observe phenomenons, we were tasked with creating our own field experience. Join the Clown Nose club, attend a book reading at the local library, the entire point was to immerse ourselves in a new environment and observe how these people interacted.

Well, I have wanted to try kick boxing for a while now. Maybe I watched too much Chuck over winter break, or maybe there's some unresolved frustration as midterms and internship applications pick up, but I really wanted to let it all out on a punching bag (literally).

Unfortunately, despite offering a wide array of gym classes - spinning included! - PSU Fitness does not have a kick boxing class and I had to turn to the gym right off campus, Momentum Fitness.

I attended the first class for free (nice! It's usually $60/month) last night and as I type this I'm having a hard time lifting my arms above my head.

TJ, the owner, taught me and the two other newbies, the four basic punches - jab jab, hook, hook! - and how to kick correctly. This was more than just learning how to hit the bag, it was also learning a modicum of self-defense. How to hit someone before they can hit you.

I didn't realize it, but by the end of the hour, I was sweating and the adrenaline running through me seemed to negate the soreness I'd feel an hour later.

I could go on for pages about the class (and I will in order to complete my assignment), but it was so much fun and I'm so glad I pushed myself to take the assignment seriously instead of just sitting in on a meeting somewhere convenient for me.

Moral of the story: do something new like your class grade depended on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment