Sunday, February 9, 2014

Watching NYFW From the Front Row

For two weeks every year, hundreds of fashion designers, models, journalists, bloggers, makeup artists, hair stylists, and everyone in between, converge on Lincoln Center to show the hottest new trends everyone will be clamoring to get their hands on in six months.

That vest!
And I sit in front of my computer, eyes glued to the live stream on Mercedes Benz Fashion Week's website. I love NYFW, I think clothes are one of our greatest forms of expression and these ten days allows us to celebrate that. These pieces are carefully crafted, the colors, or hemline or beadwork, are meticulously perfected to make sure everything is just right. It's my opinion that they deserve to reach as large an audience as possible.

Amid recent complains that the rules and standards regarding who gets into shows were becoming too lax, the live-stream allows for the catwalks to be more accessible to more people than ever before.

Sure, we're not immersed in that atmosphere - the bright lights and frenzied crowds, and the feeling that you're surrounded by some truly magnificent expressions of art, but we get to see the models walk stride like elegant gazelles right towards us (the camera), their gazes fixed in a stare. The clothes hang from their bodies in a billowing fashion or cling tight and outline their physiques.

I can't recall exactly how long, but for at least three years now - six seasons - I've made it my duty to watch the DKNY and Donna Karan shows - along with other shows - Tadashi Shoji,  Michael Kors,  J. Mendel - that are sure to feature pieces that bring me to my knees, bowing to the designers and their amazing teams.

I really need that houndstooth skirt.

Today DKNY celebrated their 25th anniversary - an incredible feat for a brand that has culturally defined - and been defined by - New York City. Because they pride themselves on being from one of the most culturally diverse cities around, we saw more than just the typical model walk in the show.

It was fantastic. Different body types, different hair styles and colors and cuts, all stunning to look at - and the clothes were pretty damn amazing, to boot.

What I like most about this DKNY show is that by featuring people who break out from the stereotypical "model" norm, they inadvertently bring me into the show - it allows me to position myself that much closer to the brand. I felt a stronger connection to them than I have in years past and while that may sound silly, only a few brands are able to do that.

Vogue has a great write up about the show's inspiration, including some quotes from Donna Karan herself, and The Cut focuses on the celebrities in attendance.  I've included some of my favorite looks throughout this post.
Wear a cape, rule the world.
Stylish, yet it looks oh-so-comfortable. 
You can probably tell I'm still living in coats.

Seriously just let me live in this until April.
(All photo credit: Umberto Fratini/Indigitalimages.com, Vogue.com & New York Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment