Monday, July 7, 2014

New Music (to me) Monday: Feedback Revival

I think I'm noticing a trend about things that motivate me enough to write: the books I read, the music I listen to and the clothes I wear all make me passionate enough to actually write about them. I suppose that's why I have this outlet.


Let me preface this with saying I have been very obsessed with Nashville lately. Admittedly, Once Upon a Time actor Colin O'Donoghue and the kickstarted film, The Dust Storm, are to thank/blame. Colin started mentioning Feedback Revival on Twitter. A lot. And I, always one on the hunt for great music (still very much obsessed with The Mowgli's and Lake Street Dive), eagerly checked them out. 

And thus, an obsession began. 

They might be a Nashville band, but they're not banjo-pluckin', plaid-wearing, Nashville-stereotyped men. These guys are rock and roll through and through and fantastic musicians regardless of genre label. Lately I've been going exclusively for the alternative/easy-listening music and not this head-banging type of music. Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants. (Am I the only one who head-bangs to this music? I can't be the only one who listens to Delta and throws her entire body into the rhythmic thump of those opening chords.)

Feedback Revival is comprised of four men. There's lead singer Dan Fenton, bassist Alex Horton, drummer Taylor Powell, and guitar master, Nathan Mcfarland. Each bring their own to the table and in a song like Soul Feet, the beat opens on drums but once those guitar chords and vocals come in, damn, it's some amazing music with different parts that just work so well together.

I bet these guys are incredible live... which brings me to a brief interlude about the band to explain this inexplicable obsession with Nashville. Turns out I think I really love Nashville. Just not the 'honky-tonky' aspects of it, but the real effervescent parts with the rock and roll with just a bit of a twang. It seems a lot like New York City, but, dare I say, better in a way? 

As it turns out, these guys had their own KickStarter going, looking for donations to be able to tour Europe. I've been on a bit of a KickStarter kick recently (post on that soon) and was very eager to donate. Looking at the reward levels however, I realized that I already have access to most of the music they were offering downloads for (Spotify premium!) and I wasn't about to spend $100 for some upper-level rewards (sorry guys - girl's gotta eat.) I did eventually donate though and even though it wasn't much, I'm so happy to say I contributed to help them.

They'll be touring Europe in October and November, but man do I hope they decide to do a northeast tour of the U.S. soon. But, if they won't go to me, I'll go to them (Nashville.)

Songs to check out: 

  • Delta
  • Tennessee Rose
  • Soul Feet
  • Jesse James
  • Ballad of Loretta




I was going to write about both Feedback Revival and Startisan in one post, but that would get a little crowded so be on the lookout for a Startisan-only post sometime in the next week.

(Photo credit: Feedback Revival Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment